The word “doctor” comes from the Latin word “docere” meaning “to teach.” Naturopaths and holistic consultants teach natural ways to enhance health, promote optimal wellness and encourage longevity. The Naturopathic approach is holistic and focuses on maintaining wellness, with an emphasis on disease prevention.
Being sick every winter season or “flu” season is not a sentence you have to partake in. As of winter 2017, myself, husband and 2 boys (ages 6 and 9) have not been to the “doctor” since 2011. We also have only gotten sick less than a handful of times and never for more than 24 hours. My 2 boys have never had the flu or strep throat. We are walking testimonies to what living a healthy lifestyle can accomplish! PLUS, I’ve got some awesome tricks up my sleeve that may just help you too!
~For my Bible-believing readers~
First I love to remember this scripture:
“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.” 1 CORINTHIANS 6: 19-20. When we honor our bodies by fueling it and living the way God intended, we are setting ourself up health! God honors our effort! In Jeremiah 33:6 it also says: “Behold, I will bring health and healing to My people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and prosperity.” God’s desire is for you to walk in health and wholeness. Just because a commercial says it’s flu season and we have to take a flu shot, doesn’t mean that’s really how we are supposed to live: in fear and more fear. Our mindset has a lot to do with our reality; and science now proves what the Bible has said for 2,000 years! Believe what the Bible says and its Truths over what a commercial or the CDC says. You are made to be in HEALTH and He has given us all the tips and tools to do just that!
7 Ways to Stay Healthy This Winter
1. 8 hours of sleep! Did you know that for every hour you are asleep before midnight, its like you slept 4 hours?! Going to sleep shortly after the sun goes down and rising when the sun comes up is how our bodies were created to flow. We have what is called a circadian rhythm which is our bodies internal clock. It helps to produce things like melatonin to make us sleepy or cortisol to wake us up. If we are not sleeping the correct hours and long enough, we are setting ourselves up for sickness. When we don’t get enough sleep at the right times our adrenals start working harder and become under more stress. When this happens our adrenals start to use more nutrients that our bodies need and it starts stealing it from other body systems like our hormones and thyroid. This in turn causes those systems to start declining and we find ourselves in a giant circle of symptoms and health problems. Sleep is hands down the number 1 thing you can do during the winter (and ALL) months to help your body heal and maintain health. Create a bedtime routine, just like you do for your kids, to remind your body its time for bed. My nighttime routine looks like this:
Pjs and magnesium lotion
Warm herbal tea
Browse or read on my phone with my the blue light blocker on (you can also get blue blocking glasses here)
And lay in bed with all lights off. I do NOT get into bed until its bedtime. My body knows, bed=sleep.
Your routine can look different but find something and do it every night. Just that alone will help you sleep easier, faster, and longer.
2. So we’ve already established that gut health is pretty important. And the best thing you can do on your own (although anytime you choose to use supplements, having the guidance of a qualified individual like a naturopath is so important), is to use a probiotic. I believe almost everyone should be taking one, simply due to our modern, toxic world we live in. You can find some of my favorites here.
3. Next up is Vitamin C. You probably have heard of immunity boosting vitamin C supplements like Emergen-C and others. Let me tell you, that those are not good. They are synthetic vitamins loaded with other ingredients you don’t want to consume. They have zero benefit and are a waste of money! When we talk about vitamin C, we are talking about a whole foods based supplement. Or better yet, consume a lot of fruit if fruit doesn’t bother you! Fruit and vegetables are loaded with nutrients our bodies need to stay healthy throughout the dark, winter months. The next best thing is a food based vitamin C. This provides your body with nutrients it needs along with providing a natural way to help keep your cells detoxed and clean from unwanted viruses and bacteria.
4. Magnesium is something you have probably heard of but you likely don’t realize the importance of it in your everyday life. Magnesium is responsible for literally every function in your body, especially your muscles like your heart and your nervous system like your brain. Without adequate amounts of magnesium in your diet you are going to start seeing some major problems. You could see things like heart problems, muscle spasms and craps, anxiety and depression, adrenal insufficiency, high blood pressure, hormones problems, pregnancy problems, sleep problems, low energy, bone health, and other nutrient deficiencies. Magnesium is needed to actually get the NUTRIENTS IN your bones and teeth! Needless to say, magnesium is huge and the preferred method is to use it topically. You can do gel, oil and/or magnesium-preferably ALL of the topical methods is best! Magnesium is essential for staying healthy in the winter and to ensure the nutrients you consume actually make it to your cells and ultimately your immune system.
5. Let’s not forget your skin health! Remember that whatever you put ON your skin, you want it to be able to go IN your body. Your skin is your largest organ and it quickly and rapidly absorbs whatever goes on it. One of my favorite products to use on my face and all over skin is Avocado Oil. This is loaded with antioxidants and helps nourish dry skin. It is inexpensive and easily absorbs without leaving a residue. Perfect for children’s skins too!
6. One of my most favorite natural medicines to keep in my “medicine cabinet” is Oreganol. In fact, it is so important and helpful that I did an entire post about it here. Here’s just a little bit of info though. When you truly have a virus, bacterial infection, fungal infection, or even sepsis, this oil is what you need. Which just proves AGAIN how amazing our God is and that He has provided all we need to function in wholeness with the plants, food, and the nature He gives us!
DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical doctor and this isn’t meant to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. I am, however, a Certified Natural Health and Wellness Consultant, have my Bachelors in Health Science and in school for my Naturopathic Doctorate and I speak also from years of experience. I only SHARE to CARE not SHARE to persuade. 🙂
ANOTHER DISCLAIMER: This oil is DIFFERENT than Oregano Oil! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use oregano oil internally. Oreganol, or oil of oregano, which is what I am talking about from here on out, has already been properly diluted and extracted in a way that makes it safe for internal consumption. Again though, use at your discretion.
Adults take 2 drops under the tongue, 2x daily for 7-10 days.
Kids 2 and older take half of that amount.
7. Last but not least, my Everyday Green Smoothie. You can read all about it in the link up there, but here are some benefits of it!
Spinach: Spinach is rich in water-soluble vitamins, fat-soluble vitamins, minerals, and a wide variety of phytonutrients. It’s high in folate and rich in chlorophyll which gives the spinach it’s beautiful green color. It’s also abundant in magnesium and iron making it a great source of plant protein. It can have anti-inflammatory properties for the whole body! A true superfood!
Celery: Celery doesn’t get a lot of fame but it should! It has amazing anti-inflammatory properties, specifically related to the digestive tract. In addition to well-known antioxidants like vitamin C and flavonoids, scientists have now identified at least a dozen other types of antioxidant nutrients in celery. It has been proven to reduce oxidative stress which we know can lead to heart disease and cancer. Eat more celery!
Banana: Bananas are known for their high potassium content but even more than potassium they hold a high amount of vitamin B6, which is crucial for your nervous system and metal health. Because of the high potassium content bananas can help maintain blood pressure and proper heart function. Even though bananas tastes sweet, their load of fiber compared to their sugar content helps your body not get overwhelmed by the sugar hitting your blood thus reducing the effects of any sugar crashes. Huh, imagine that?! Whoever said fruit was the enemy, shouldn’t pretend to be God. Pretty sure He knew what He was up too when He created the most perfect food for our bodies to digest!
Of course one of the best things you can do, naturally, is consume a whole foods based diet loaded with fruits, vegetables, organically raised grass fed meats and animal products, good fats like coconut and avocado oil, nuts and seeds and ALL of God made foods!
If you are needing help to jumpstart the New Year of health, I’d love to help you out! Please click here, to fill our a New Client Intake Form so we can connect!
Many Blessings to you and yours this Holiday Season~